Three Trout Rovers FC

"A man can't have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends’" - Sultans of Ping FC.

view:  full / summary

Three Trout 5 - 4 Cloncastle

Posted by eoin1980 on May 2, 2015 at 4:55 AM Comments comments (1)

Another epic, goalfest against Cloncaste. Great going forward; sloppy defending against a tricky, determined side. Very wet and slippery day. We went one down, then 2-1 up but somehow were 3-2 down at half time. Goals from Emmet and 'Shay'. We equalised in the second half after a scramble from a Pony free. Went a goal up from Alan Ruth. I got polaxed and Si went in goals. They equalised at the death much to our dismay only for Emmet to bag the winner with practically the last kick of the game. Great win- well done lads.

Kill 5 - 2 Three Trout

Posted by eoin1980 on April 23, 2015 at 6:50 PM Comments comments (0)

The warmest day of the year so far, why not a trip down the M50 to play Kill Celtic off the Straffan Road on a Wednesday evening to finish off our participation in the Shield competition for this season?! Many thanks once again to the Div 3A secretary of the UCL ……….

With the squad of 14 just about making it there on time (the final 5 lads barrelling out of Eoin’s peoplemover 5 minutes before scheduled kick-off time), the quickest of warm-ups/team-talks too place and we were off. Team line-up:


Dilbert Ross Paddy O’G Mick



Andre Alan M Ben



Adam for Ross (30mins)

Paul McG for Karl (45mins)

Franner for Alan M (65mins)

The game began quite scrappily, not aided by the lack of a proper warm-up and the heat of the evening. With a long, hardened pitch, quality football on the deck was at a premium but the Trout’s grew into the game after an initial 10 minutes of inertia. Kill were looking dangerous with their very obvious age and pace advantage, peppering balls over the top of our back 4 who dealt with the task manfully. 2 mobile strikers up top and their number 7 in the ‘hole’ behind them were running in between the lines very well. After a tough 10 minutes, we finally began to get our foot on the ball in midfield and started creating chances of our own, particularly from out wide where Ben and Andre were beginning to get the better of their respective full backs and we were just a couple of inches from playing the ever-willing runner in Karl in on goal.

As in the league game out there earlier this season, we looked dangerous from set-pieces and it was from a corner played in by Andre that we took the lead. A good ball in to the middle was only half cleared to the edge of the box, where Shay lay in wait to take it on the half volley and expertly keep the ball down and beat the keeper and defender on the line. 20 minutes in and we have the lead despite not yet playing our best stuff. Shortly after this, Ross’ back gave-up on him and Adam came into the fold with a straight swap at centre-half. Kill got back into the game after 35mins, a good strike from just outside the box into the bottom left corner after we backed-off the player too much cutting in from the left hand side. A couple of half-chances for the Trout’s before half time but we went in at 1-1 at the break.

Team-talk done, we knew if we upped the quality of touch and intensity, we could come away with the win. Paul McGinty came on for Karl up front for a first appearance in some months and we got straight back into things. Baz, Alan and Shay began to win the battle in midfield and Dilbert was able to push forward more in the first 10 minutes of the half. Adam and Paddy got to grips with the Kill forwards and were mopping up anything they had to throw at them. Kill however took the lead slightly against the run of play with a well worked goal out right, crossed in and a great diving header into the corner beating Eoin. The final change was made on 65 minutes, with Franner coming on for his debut in place of Alan Mowatt who continues his way back to full fitness with another good shift this evening. Heads refused to drop and we equalised within 15 minutes, once again from a corner delivered by Andre this time onto the penalty spot where Baz climbed between 2 defenders to head the ball into the left hand corner. That’s 3 goals in 4 games now from Baz I’m reliably told ……. 20 minutes to go and it was anyone’s game at this stage.

Perhaps now the heat of the evening, the long days in work and the drive out began to take their toll and the game became very stretched and the Trout’s began to look leggy. Kill re-took the lead with 12 to go, the Kill replacement left winger jinking his way through 2 tackles before laying it on a plate for their man at the back post to sidefoot home. 2 more goals in the final 8 minutes from straight balls over the top gave the scoreline a flattering look for Kill as things finished 5-2 to them however they were worth their victory on the night. To a man, I think we can all look at ourselves and know that we weren’t quite at the races during the game today but it’s more miles in the tank for the tougher more important games to come in the coming weeks. Some good football was played at times, but we need to lift the intensity back to the levels we are used to if we are to rack up the wins needed for the promotion push in the league.

‘It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get back up.’

~ Vince Lombardi

TTRFC 1 - 5 Rialto Madrid

Posted by Si Williams on April 23, 2015 at 7:15 AM Comments comments (0)

A weekend that was tipped to be the pinnacle in world sport. Manchester City travelled to the fortress that is Old Trafford, Rory Mc Illroy attempted to complete his grand slam at Masters weekend, and Tree Trout Rovers the in-form team welcomed Rialto, with a fiery contest expected between the two.

The scene was set, sun in the sky, Tree Trouts pitch was in it’s best condition in months and a windy setting had made Rialto feel like they had arrived in the Britannia stadium. The first half kicked off in blustery fashion (no pun intended), unfortunately for both teams the best player on the pitch was Aeolus (god and ruler of the winds), however in fairness to Rialto they did try to play the ball on the deck and they had the trouts on the backfoot for most of the first half.

In saying that, the Trouts defence which had been incredible all year, was once again proving why they were on such a good run of form. The trouts were standing tall and pushing to get to half time to turn the tables and have the advantage of the wind. Then just on the brink of half time the games defining moment occurred, Rialto played a lovely ball through over the top to put their striker through on goal, as always, first to react was Eoin (Neuer) English who rushed off his line to clear the ball from the oncoming striker. For once however he was unlucky as he tried to retrieve the ball while protect himself from the oncoming player he unluckily turned his back and the ball bounced up hitting his hand resulting in a straight red card. At first glance looked a little harsh but when you sit down and analyse the situation the ref had no other choice.

At this point the half time whistle came and Rialto went in thinking “easy”. Easy it was not, the 10 men trouts came out firing on all cylinders, Rialto were beginning to see the true advantage of having the wind, and on top of that the Trojan that is Emmet Wyley began dictating play from box to box. After 10 minutes of pure pressure the 10 men got what they deserved. Justice was served, and I mean that literally, Andre Justice stepped up for one of his delightfully delectable corners and to the dismay of Rialtos keeper Justice had judged the wind to perfection and the ball floated in to the back of the net .

Although the trouts were on top, they began to tire and in turn Rialto knocked in a equaliser, this was quickly followed by a goal which was the result of a clear handball. The fury could be seen in the trouts and in the haze of the anger 3 consecutive goals were scored in a flurry.

Although the scoreline doesn’t reflect it, the trouts battled hard and deserve some credit. Rialto deserved the win but the trouts will have their revenge

Three Trout 1 - 2 St. Anthony's

Posted by eoin1980 on April 18, 2015 at 3:05 PM Comments comments (0)

Three Trout 1 – 2 St. Anthony’s (Shield)


Perfect day for it today which produced the highly entertaining and dramatic game that the conditions deserved. Writing this now, a couple of hours after the game I can honestly say I’m still gutted. For us coming off the pitch it felt like a wasted opportunity; a famous defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. No doubt Anto’s will feel this was a great win which their battling spirit deserved. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between.



Paddy  Mark  Baz   Mick Mc

Alan  Emmet  Eoin  Shay  Ben


Subs: Noel for Baz, Jules for Mo


Both teams started brightly and things were even enough for the opening stages but as time wore on I thought we were starting to get on top. Ben in particular was playing some great stuff down the left flank. Probably the move of the game saw Pony, take practically their whole defence out when rifling the ball out to the Swiss on the wing who shot forward, swinging in a good ball which unfortunately came to nothing. Despite having a fair bit of possession, Anto’s didn’t create too much, Paddy comfortably clearing one off the line was probably the zenith of the attacking peak in the first period. Mark as usual was winning everything in the air and Baz was having a very solid game marshalling well in defence. Mo and Alan were also defending from the front and between them were really putting the squeeze on Anto’s at the other end. Elsewhere Mick was solid at centre-back and Shay battled admirably in the centre of midfield.

We were now playing some lovely stuff but the goal when it came was unexpected, not in terms of our pressure but how it ended up in the net. Emmet hit one from 30 yards, to be honest the keeper seemed to be capably shepherding it out for a goal kick when it bounced off the inside of his post and nestled in his net. When was the last time Emmet scored a sub-30 yard goal?! Another cracking goal from arguably our player of the season so far. Once again it shows the importance of just having a go….unfortunately this was a lesson we failed to heed today with dire consequences. Emmet was, however, unlucky not to double his tally not long after, hitting the post after some good build up play.

The goal seemed to spur us on even more and I got the distinct impression Anto’s were in a fair bit of trouble now. They only had a couple of subs, added to this their manager was playing and one or two of them looked to have picked up knocks and they all seemed to be flagging in the hot sun. In short, they were ours for the taking. Truthfully, this was one of best halves we’ve played all season and both sides contributed to a good, free-flowing game which was very enjoyable. Going in at the half a goal to the good, I felt confident we could go on and grab another.

The second half continued much as the first, both sides getting plenty of the ball but I thought we looked a little more likely to score. We created opportunities in their box but again a reluctance to hit the ball early and overplay it would ultimately come back to haunt us.

 Emmet hit the bar from close-range and in perhaps in hindsight this was a key moment in the game. Of course I’m not blaming Emmet! But rather I suspect had we gone to get a second I think Anto’s may well have considered the game beyond them at this point. From that period on, Anto’s really upped their game. Despite not creating many clear chances, they were asking serious questions of our defence and perhaps were just using their skill and experience that little bit more intelligently in the final third. Their equaliser came about 20 mins in, some slack marking from us allowed one of their lads to swing in a fabulous cross to allow their striker to finish from close-range. A really well-worked goal to be fair. Even so, I was still reasonably confident we were capable of grabbing another or at least getting a draw- we were getting into some great positions in and around their box but were just lacking someone with the conviction to step up and put them away. On too many occasions today, the ball was there to be hit but instead players seemingly elected to pass, dribble and at dawdle instead of trying to claim reward for their excellent play prior. I appreciate it’s easy to say this from the comfort of my goal line and sincere apologies for my shouting today which I appreciate is totally counterproductive.

However, when Anto’s got a second not long after we were incensed with ourselves. If their first goal was well-worked I felt this was all our own doing. Failing to clear a ball, one of their lads somehow had time to hit a relatively tame effort into our net, alluding me and two defenders on the line on its journey. Credit must go to Anto’s as they saw out the game strongly with great commitment and discipline. Their centre-back in particular won numerous high balls into their box as we went in search of a last gasp equaliser. Too many of our corners throughout (from which we won 2 goals last game) went begging and I thought let Anto’s off the hook fairly cheaply considering we are not a short team and have some great fire-power in the heading department.

Again despite having plenty of possession in the final third we just seemed to lack the guile and creativity needed on this occasion. Plenty of positives to take for us today and we really did play extremely well for much of the game against a top side and on another day could’ve won by 2 or 3. That marks the end of our contention for the shield and we’ll focus all our efforts now on trying to finish as high up the league table as possible.

Fair play to the Anto’s manager for his words pre-game- as he said himself he was badly out of order after our last meeting seemed genuine in his desire to atone for this which was laudable.

Beech Park 2-2 TTRFC

Posted by Mick McGrath on April 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM Comments comments (0)

(Wednesday, 15th April - St. Catherine's Park - 6.30pm K.O.)


Starting Line-up:


Jules         Baz              Paddy O       Dilbert



Mowatt      Pony            Emmett        Andre




Subs: Mick McGrath (Jules-55mins), Mark Hanlon (Baz-65mins), Gilberto (Mo-75mins)



With the match scheduled for an early mid-week kick-off, it was great to see a strong turn-out from the Trouts.

With people having to negotiate the rush hour Lucan traffic, there was a slight worry that we might struggle to have a full starting eleven for kick-off. But thankfully (with the aid of some live Whatsapp updates), the full squad had arrived in time for the final warm-ups.


The conditions were perfect for a game of football. It was a sunny evening, with no hint of a breeze. Beech Park's pitch is arguably the best that we had encountered this season.

Beech Park started strongly, with some good decent football, constantly playing little triangles on the deck in the middle of the park. They were moving the ball from one side the pitch to the other. But for all their early possession in the opening 10mins, they were resorting to looping balls over the top and down the lines to chase. The back four for the Trouts were coping well with little to trouble them. On the odd ocassion when Beech Park beat the offside trap Adam was quick off his line when to stamp out ay potential danger.


There was one notbale chance in this period for Beech Park when one of their front men controlled a poor cross from the right winger on his chest with his back to goal, popping it straight up for a decent overhead volley, which was easily caught by Adam in the end. (Shades of Fellaini...)


Following a slow start, the Trout midfield began to press the ball to much better effect, with Seamus, Pony and Emmett starting to disrupt the Beech Park midfield from stringing their passed together as they had been. Al and Andre were beginning to see more of the ball coming their way on the wings, and were doing a good job of keeping the ball in their half for extended periods.


From this pressing, the Trouts won a corner. Beech Park's defence seemed very slow to get back and organise themselves. Andre whipped a great corner towards the near post, with plenty of pace. Mo's presence at the front caused mayhem, as two defenders and the keeper all scrambled to mark him. The ball bounced straight through the lot of them, landing on a plate for the on-rushing Baz, who cooly slotted it in the net as his marker stood on his heels. Great delivery and great anticipation in the box saw the Trouts lead 0-1.


The goal came against the general run of play to that point, but it visibily spurred the Trouts on, as they gained a better foothold in what was now becoming a very scappy game. At this point the ref was fast becoming the centre piece of the game, blowing up for almost every contested tackle & header. The game became very start-stop with endless free kicks being called in the midfield area of the pitch.


Shortly after the first goal, the Trouts won a second corner. Andre delivered another whipped ball towards the front post, which the covering defender glanced beyond his flapping keeper with a desparate attempt at a defensive header. O.G. confirmed and the Trouts were now 2-0 up, thanks to two cracking corner deliveries from Justice.


At this point Beech Park seemed to be getting increasingly desperate to get back into the game, fighting amongst themselves and struggling to the ball moving in the same way that they had started the game. Tackles were flying in and a few of their players seemed to be losing their cool (particularly their no.11, who threw a spectacular tantrum over a corner decision that went against him). During this period Andre picked picked up a yellow card for a late challenge on the Beech Park right back who had just released a long ball before the challenge.


Three Trout seemed to be cruising without playing anywhere near their best football, looking the more comfortable team without ever truely dominating. But within 5 minutes of the second goal Beech Park caused mass confusion in the Trouts back line with a long ball down the left wing, which they managed to chase down before reaching the end line. Their left winger collected the ball, made a yard of space for himself and played a ball over two defenders as well as Adam at the near post. Following a couple of ricochets around the six yard box, the ball flew towards Dilbert, who had little time to react. He swung his leg to clear the ball, but the contact sent it back into the Three Trout net. 2-1 and with an O.G. a piece.


The final 10mins of the half continued in the same scrappy fashion, with what seemed to be a stoppage every 60 seconds. There was one bright moment, where a throw in from Jules left two defenders for dead, opening up space for Al to try a trademark audacious shot from the right corner of the Beech Park box. The keeper could only watch as the dipping ball flew over his head to bounce off the top of the bar for a goal kick.


The Trouts were battling well in every department and that was reflected in the half-time team talk which simply called for more of the same from everyone.


The second half kicked off, but the intensity seemed to drop a little. Beech Park were probing our back line a bit more, involving their wings to better effect. They weren't causing too much trouble to Adam at this point, but they were beginning to build momentum around the edge of the Trout box.


The game continued to be very start-stop, with the referee taking every opportunity to give someone a talking to. He seemed to be taking particular exception to every tackle or 50/50 contest that Andre was involved in. One such challenge saw Andre win a 50/50 from a loose ball on the left. Although he won the ball, his studs were showing as he stretched for it. There was clearly no malice in the challenge, but the ref gave his final warning the sideline.


After about 10mins of the second half Jules, who had run himself into the ground, was replaced by Mick McGrath. Mick slotted into left-back to mark their pacey right winger, while Dilbert shifted to the right back position vacated by Jules. Shortly afterwards Baz's hangsting finally gave in, leading to him being replaced by Mark Hanlon in a straight swap. Baz had tweeked the hamstring earlier while scoring his goal in the first half.


The Trout midfield were now being forced to drop slightly deeper to help protect the back line. We were beginning to give away more free kicks that allowed Beech Park to put pressure on the Three Trout box.


Gilberto was introduced with approx 15mins to go in place of Mo. Again, this was a straight swap, with Gilberto going up front.


Shortly after the change Andre was deemed to have fouled the Beech Park right back just inside their own half. This proved to be the final straw for the ref, who appeared to be waiting for any opportunity to brandish him with a red card. He seemed to suggest that this was for persistent fouling. During the protests from the sideline, the ref also felt the need to send the suspended Eoin English "to the stands" (carpark), before turning his attentions back to Andre to ask him to leave the pitchside also. This all seemed completely over the top, but it was clear from kick-off that this ref was not interested in discussing his decisions.


This stoppage could not have been more than 3mins in total.


The red card lead to an immediate reshuffle from the Trout management, with Emmet moving to left wing in what was now a 4-4-1 formation, with a flat four in midfield.


The sending off clearly motivated Beech Park, who began to press further up the pitch, allowing their full backs to get forward and help out their wings. The Trouts were now visibly beginning to tire. Although the battling spirit never seemed to die, the Trout midfield were beginning to run out of steam after a long afternoon. Beech Park were now having more joy in getting numbers forward, and make runs at the back line who were struggling to maintain a shape towards the end of the match.


Soon after the dismissal of Andre, the ref also showed a red card to a member of the Beech Park bench, who decided to get into an altercation with Al Mowatt as the ball went out for a throw near their line.


When asked, the ref refused to tell any player (from either team) how much time was left. He simply repeated the line "Don't worry, there's plenty left for you". Sure enough, after what must have been 8-10mins of injury time, Beech Park broke through the Trout defence, crossing from the left of the six yard box. Paddy and Adam both attempted to smother the cross, but were outnumbered, allowing Beech Park's unmarked no.9 to bundle the ball over the line at his second attempt.


Following 25mins or so of non-stop battling with 10 men, Trout had finally let their lead slip.


The match finished 2-2 as the ref immediately blew up at the restart.

Despite the obvious disappointment to have the lead snatched away with the final kick of the game, the team could be proud to earn a draw against such strong opposition under the circumstances. We move onto Saturday's match knowing that we more than capable of taking any team in this league.

Castle Celtic 2 TTR 3

Posted by Mickste on March 31, 2015 at 12:45 AM Comments comments (0)
Three trout rovers travelled to walkinstown last Saturday for a match against castle Celtic . The previous meeting of the two teams ended on a draw with Three trout guilty of being too confident going into to the fixture. There was no repeat this time as three trout arrived in plenty of time to see they would be playing on one of the bigger pitches in the league. TTR lined up with Adam in goals, paddy o Gorman and Keelan playing either side of Mark and Baz. The midfield trio consisted of Pony, Emmett and Paddy F. Ben and Andre out wide with Mo up top. Mickste, Si and Adam "al mowatt" on the bench. The game kicked off in a blustery wind with TTR struggling at the start with their passing. Castle settled in pretty quick winning a lot of the loose balls. About half an hour into the first half came the first goal, a long ball up to the castle striker and with a bit of luck he managed to lift it over the on rushing Adam. One nil down and half time couldn't of come quicker for three trout. A stern talking too and fresh instructions from Si saw three trout emerge with renewed vigour in the second half. Pony started to control the midfield battle with Ben and Andre trying to work some magic on the wings . Adam was brought in for paddy f with about half an hour to go. Just after the sub was made castle scored from a corner that wasnt defended. TTR were two down but the self confidence of the team was evident and points were still there to be played for . Paddy o Gorman was having a good game at full back and as castle tired , thee trout began to push foward. A lovely ball over the top from pony for Ben saw the Swiss winger beat his man to the ball but was taken out just inside the box for a penalty . Captain Wiley stepped up and cooly converted it. 10 mins later from a corner delivered by Andre saw Baz climb the highest to send a bullet header into the net . Three trout were now out for blood and controlling the game. An innocuous looking free saw a gang of players head into the box exoecting pony to launch it in. A clever run by Andre saw pony pick him out with a curled low free round the defender and Andre clipped it over the castle Keeper expertly to grab the lead for three trouts. That lead held into the dying ten minutes and three trout from 2 down with half an hour left has turned their fortune around and secure a vital three points. Great battling throughout the game and the players showed their technical skill especially in the second half. Let's hoot the good run and hard work continue

KCR 0 - 1 TTR

Posted by PaddyO on March 21, 2015 at 1:50 PM Comments comments (1)

Formation: 4-5-1


Paddy Shay Ross Mick

Andre Pony Steff (Paul) Emmet Ben



It was a beautiful afternoon in Brickfield Park that saw us - the form team of the league - take on the the struggling KCR. Despite the fact that the pitch was very norrow conditions were ideal for the Trouts to continue our march up the table (helped by the fact that they were missing their Polish Rory Delap). We may have been short on numbers, thanks in part to the management going to Kinsale for a piss up stag, we were still able to put out a very strong first 11 as well as Mick Ste dictating things from the line. This included a come back for Trout legend Shay Connolly, time would only tell whether he would have an eventful game...

After a short wait for the ref to turn up we were off. The Trouts definitely started the stronger and (believe me this actually happened) I chested an early corner from Andre straight into the keeper's hands. The first 20 minutes saw little goal mouth action with Andre twice coming close, first there was a near post save from a flick on from Mo and then a flashed shot across the goal from a cross by Ben.

This KCR team were no great shakes which made things even more dissapointing when we started to let them get into the game. This culminated in the chance of the game and possibly the save of the season from Eoin who palmed away a KCR header from a lofted ball from midfield.

0-0 at half time. We were the better team in the first half and we all knew what we needed to do; tighten things up and start testing their keeper with some shots. After a brief delay after Steff's mysterious dissaperance we were raring to get out for the 2nd half and show what we can do.

Duly enough we started to turn the screw. We were now starting to take shots and Ben was twisting their full back and giant centre half inside out. KCR were also not getting a sniff at our end with Ross bossing the line excellently and Shay looking like he never left.

Then after about 15 mins we got what we deserved. Emmet picks up the ball outside their box and unleashes a doozy of a shot that loops and swerves over the helpless keeper's head and into the KCR net. 1-0 Trouts and this was easily going to be a 3 or 4 nil game!

It was around this time Paul - our only sub of the day - came on for Steff who had to come off with 'injury'.

Not long after we had taken the lead some sloppy play on the right allowed KCR get into our box for what must have been the first time of the 2nd half but everything was alright as Shay swept up and came out with the ball from a straight forward tackle. No wait...the keeper points to the spot as the KCR player first goes down clutching his chest and then switches to a cramped calf! Absolutely shocking decision. Some arguing goes on and Shay is crazily sent of with 2 yellow cards, I think the official line was 1 yellow for the tackle and the 2nd for the 'he's going to win an Oscar next year' line! Eoin also comes out of this with a yellow.

Penalty for KCR. Eoin sikes out the taker by taking off his gloves and throwing them away. He looked nervous and boom Eoin saves low to his left and the ball is cleared by Mick. Justice served.

Pony takes a step back to fill in at centre back for the rest of the game. If anything, the sending off seemed to galvinise us and we started to put some great chances together. Ben had a handful of chance with 2 great runs in particular. The first having skinned a couple of defenders somehow the keeper saved at his near post, then hitting the bar from a one on one somehow!

We saw out the last 15 miutes well with great attitude and great tackles across the midfield and in reality KCR never really looked like scoring even with the man advantage. We really could and should have won by more but considering the sending off it was a really solid performance from the Trouts and more importantly another 3 points in the bag!


- Paddy


TTR VS Celtic Castle 2nd 3-3

Posted by ben on March 8, 2015 at 10:50 AM Comments comments (1)


Julian Paddy Adam Dilbert

Ben Emmet Tim Pony Justice


55 Adam went out for Injury, replaced by Ross

70 Dilbert for Ruth

75 Mo for Mick


It has been a promising start of 2015 for three trout rovers particularly two weeks that promised to transform the complexion of their season with victories over top ranked teams Hermitage Clinic (1-2) and Rialto Madrid FC (3-2).

For Tim’s last, TTR were Taking low ranked side Castle Celtic 2nds this Saturday at home in a finally playable pitch, this game should have been the story of the consecration of the Trouts giving them the confidence needed to go through the end of the season with a serious psychological advantage over their future opponents.

It was a northerly wind that the Castle Celtic man had to thank for his opportunity to score, as a punted centre from their winger caught by a heavy gust fell suddenly on the top post giving their striker their first and easy opportunity to push the ball in the bottom of the net, 0-1 for the visitors.

Neither side produced many chances in a game dominated by a strong wind which was in Three Trout’ favour in the first half until Justice expedites his corner kick on the box reaching Mo’s head to deflect the ball right into Hemet’s feet who was in the perfect position to send a rocket on the top corner left of the goal, 1-1.

Suffering of a few absences and with Paddy and Adam replaced on the centre of the defensive line the Trouts had some difficulties to take full control of the game. We had to wait the30th minutes of the match to see Tim’s free kick falling in the keeper’s area and headed in the goal by Mo, Trouts took the advantage 2-1.

If the first half was short on quality, the second was lacking entirely as neither team was able to settle into the game finding difficulties to pass the ball around until Trouts cracked in defence which forced Eoin to tackle their striker heading straight to the goal. The penalty was nicely transformed (2-2).

The game was even, with both teams showing difficulties to settle but trying their best to push the score to their advantage. The sparkle came at the 80th minute, moving well all along the game on his wing, Justice obtained a free kick on the corner of the 16 yards box, flirting with the corner line. Nicely kicked on the first post Ben saw the ball falling on his right foot and managed “somehow” to deflect the ball in the net.

With this lead and less than 10 minutes left on the watch TTR should have tried to manage responsibly the end of the game, but in the closing moments it was Castle applying the pressure keeping the ball, and created a few opportunities as opposed to TTR. After being frustrated by TTR early on, Castle gradually the pressure and were rewarded with the breakthrough 5 minutes before the final whistle, levelling both team (3-3).

The goal was no more than Castle pressure deserved but as a final present after 4 years of loyal services Tim almost put TTR back in front soon after, his constants efforts weren’t rewarded as the ball didn’t’ reach the target.


Three Trout Rovers 3 Rialto 2

Posted by MarkH on March 1, 2015 at 12:20 AM Comments comments (1)

A blustery day at the Jackie Skelly Arena saw the Trouts welcome high flyers Rialto, a team with serious title aspirations having only dropped 4 points in the league to date. A full strength Trouts team lined up as follows;


Dil - Mark - Baz - Mick

Stef - Adam - Wyley

Andre - Mo - Ben

Subs - Gilberto (for Julien 80), Julien (for Mo 65),  Pony, Eddie (for Mick 75), Si, Karl

The Trouts played with the wind in the 1st half, and immediately set about snapping and harrying the Rialto team, not allowing them any time to settle whatsoever. The surface was not one conducive to free flowing football but the home side were certainly edging a cagey opening 20 minutes. The game came to life after 20 minutes when a corner from the left wing was headed clear by Rialto's giant centre half only for the bouncing ball to be returned with interest into the top corner of their net with a thunderbolt from Adam Finnegan. The goal sparked a period of pressure for the Trouts with Ben and Andre beginning to torment the Rialto full backs with excellent support from Dil & Mick on the flanks. 5 minutes after Adam's wonder strike, Ben contributed his second entry in the goal of the month tournament with a powerful run & drive from 30 yards that arrowed over the keeper's head and into the back of the net. The Trouts were comfortably in control at this point with the away side struggling to create anything to cause any serious trouble to the Trouts defence, Mick McGrath in particular allowing his tricky winger absolutely no time to cause any trouble. The second half ended with another drive from Ben that fizzed just wide of the Rialto post.

2 up at half time, the talk was all about protecting the lead and maintaining the work rate for the second half. So it was that within 15 minutes of the restart the sides were level. Rialto came out fighting after the break and enjoyed a period of sustained pressure that lead to their opener after 50 mins. For the first time in the game, Rialto's two little centre forwards managed to wriggle free to create an opening for their right winger who couldn't miss after a neat interchange of passes freed him to shoot from 6 yards out. Shortly afterwards, Rialto won a free kick on the right wing which the wind wickedly carried into the path of their onrushing centre half, the ball appearing to bounce off him and up over the stranded Eoin in goal. Rialto pushed on and created another glorious opportunity but a foul on Baz coupled with a correct offside call saw the play brought back for a free out. It was essentially one way traffic after that as the Trouts got to grips with the game. Adam in particular was like a man possessed and his gloriously weighted through ball released Julien down the middle, his calculated effort rebounding off the base of the post and across the face of the goal. Emmett Wyley was unlucky with an effort from close range that came back off the post shortly afterwards and the Trouts hit the woodwork for a third time with Mark's header from a cracking Andre corner. Andre tried his luck from distance with a volley from 35 yards and while these usually go in, the wind conspired to lift this effort over the bar. On 70 minutes the outstanding Ben created the winner when, after Mick's shot was fumbled by the Rialto keeper, he pounced on the rebound and the keeper could only bundle Ben over for a clear penalty. The ref appeared to point to the spot but Andre, clearly fearing that he wasn't going to get his name on the scoresheet, rolled the breaking ball into the open goal anyway. The Rialto lads were pretty furious that the ref allowed the goal to stand despite having blown for the penalty kick but the alternative was a red card & a likely converted panalty so they can't feel too hard done by. The Trouts expertly saw out the remainder of the match with Andre in particular showing real composure & intelligence in the dying minutes. The last 10 minutes felt like about 3 hours but the final whistle eventually came after one of Eoin's meticulously prepared goal-kicks. A brilliant team performance characterised by outstanding organisation & focus at the back, tireless energy & ferocity in midfield, and precision & power up front. Particularly excellent performances from Adam & Ben and overall a thoroughly deserved victory.

Hermitage 1 - 2 Three Trout

Posted by eoin1980 on February 21, 2015 at 3:05 PM Comments comments (3)


Jules  Barry  Paddy  Dilbert

Tim  Stef   Emmet  Adam   Ben


Subs: Karl for Mo, Eddie for Jules, Gilberto for Emmet


Perhaps to say I felt a little guilty leaving St. Catherine’s Park earlier today would be pushing it but somehow saying I felt fortunate doesn’t quite cover it either. Whatever the word for the state between to these two emotions is how I felt! If someone with a more expansive vocabulary than me has any ideas I’d be keen to find out!

With about 15-20 minutes remaining this was a game we seemed well on course to lose and deservedly so. Playing with a strong wind in the first half we’d hardly troubled Hermitage’s keeper. What’s more we’d barely put two passes together. To be fair this was a pretty dour affair as both sides struggled on a bobbily pitch. We were reduced to launching long balls into their box which didn’t really prove too fruitful. Emmet tried his luck a couple of times and Tim worked hard down the wing, doing well to get some decent crosses in under pressure. Mo is a handful for any defence and despite working tirelessly while ploughing a lonely furrow; he was well marshalled by Hermitage’s equally strong defenders. Stef and Adam battled away in the middle winning plenty of high balls and tackles but we seemed to be lacking much in the way of real penetration while in possession.

Hermitage showed far more creativity throughout this encounter; their left winger and centre forward caused us all sorts of problems today and these lads will know themselves that between them they could and probably should’ve had 2-3 goals and perhaps more. They took the lead midway through the half, some great play by their 7 and some sloppy enough defending from us allowed them in for a well-taken close-range strike. The only other real incident of note in the half was what looked like a fairly decent penalty shout for them waved on. Jules really had his hands full with this lad today and was also on the receiving end of a painful elbow to the hooter (accidental) for his troubles.

Things didn’t improve much after the interval and despite battling hard; quite simply we never looked like scoring. That was until Dilbert picked up a pass from Karl about 35 yards out and absolutely pummelled it into their net. No doubt their keeper will be a bit disappointed but in his defence, given the wind, the ball must have been swerving, dipping and diving something awful before it found the net. I’ve been on the receiving end of some of these and know just how tricky they can be to deal with. I’d wager this was pretty much our first meaningful shot on target for the whole game. It was a really cleanly hit strike and highlights again, as Alan M., Andre & Emmet have proved to lethal effect, the importance at this level of just having a crack sometimes!

I think we were more surprised than Hermitage so imagine our disbelief when minutes later we took the lead! The ball probably fell to the only man on our team who could have scored such a goal. Ben, the embodiment of Gallic flair and va-va-voom, beat at least 3 men and then blasted the ball low and hard into the bottom corner leaving their keeper with no chance. How many times have we seen Ben do this? Leaving defences in his wake to go on to score crucial goals for us. C’etait magnifique!

P.S. Ben- don’t forget after claiming last summer you wouldn’t be playing for the club again, I bet you €50 that not only would you play but you’d score! If you finish the season with 5+ goals, I’ll let you off.

We battened down the hatches for the remaining minutes; even so Hermitage had more than one opportunity to get something from the game. They hit the bar, had another penalty shout waved on (although I think the ref was spot on here in my biased opinion) our defence made some heroic last ditch blocks – most memorably Barry threw himself in the way from a squared cross right at the death that seemed destined for the back of the net. He wasn’t the only one either, Paddy and Eddie put in a great shift and Gilberto did really well to break up their play at the end ensuring an unlikely 3 points would be winging their way back to Greystones.

We really got out of jail today and to be honest had we salvaged a point I’d have been over the moon! As Barry pointed out post-match, the fact they had the bare 11 today while we had 4 subs really was a big advantage both physically and psychologically particularly when we levelled.

This was certainly not our best performance by a long shot and truthfully we’ve played a lot better than this only to go on to lose games! Even so, there’s arguably something even sweeter about such a victory! Well done to all today.





Three Trout 2 - 0 Lazio

Posted by Si Williams on February 9, 2015 at 9:10 AM Comments comments (2)

Starting 11


Eoin E


Jules Mark H Adam F Mick McG




Pony Stef R Emmet W (c)



Ben R Alan R



Big Mo


Mick Ste (Came on for Mo)

Dilbert (Came on for Al R)

Julien L (Came on for Stef R)

With the Trouts not in action since well before Christmas I think it’s fair to say both the management and players were chomping at the bit to get a game in. Thankfully, after several postponements due to the weather, this cup game got the all clear. And in fairness, apart from a few bumps and soft patches, Lazio’s pitch was in surprisingly good condition for the game.

The first 15 minutes was pretty tight with both sides probing but not creating any clear cut chances.

As the half went on Three Trout gradually got on top and were comfortable in the match. Eoin’s kicking from goal was excellent and constantly had Lazio’s defence on the back foot. Eoin was looking for Al Ruth’s runs and finding Big Mo who was winning his headers and causing not giving the Lazio defenders a minute’s peace. Mo’s persistence paid off and about 35 mins in he made a great run and was put through with a lovely ball, Mo found himself one on one with the keeper and was very unlucky to see his shot cannon back off the post. Lazio too did have some good play in midfield in the first half but couldn’t create any clear cut chances. The Three Trout defence was dealing with anything that came their way. So the teams went in all square at half time.

The second half started with a quick tempo and for the first 5-10 mins Lazio saw quite a bit of the ball but again the Trout’s defence was giving nothing away. But as the game went on Three Trout grew into it and started getting on the ball and playing their game with the midfield starting to dominate. Ben was making great runs down the right and causing problems. And on the left Dilbert who came on for Al Ruth had some nice touches and was providing good support to Mick at left back. About 15 mins into the second half a Trout attack resulted in corner that was whipped in with venom and the centre back could only divert the ball into his own net….1 nil to the Trouts!

The goal settled the team and you could see the players growing with confidence. Lazio now had no choice but to which was leaving gaps at the back for them. Again, the Trouts back 5 won every ball and Eoin was never really troubled in the nets, coming to collect a few crosses but certainly not over worked. For the last half an hour Three Trout were on top and creating chance after chance. Pony was unlucky with a couple of half chances that on another day he might have stuck in the back of the net. Also, the subs Mick Ste and Julien were really having an impact. Both creating chances after their introduction. The first of which lead to our second goal. Emmet picked the ball up in midfield and saw Julien up top, he played the ball into him and he took a lovely first touch, bet his man and had a shot, the shot was blocked but thankfully the rebound fell back to his feet. Emmet had continued his run and Julien had the composure to lay the ball into him on the edge of the box and Emmet placed the ball in the bottom corner to make it 2 nil.

Lazio now made some substitutions and were throwing caution to the wind in the hope of salvaging something from this cup tie but the Trout’s defence was too strong and the Trout’s were counter attacking at will creating chances. Mick Ste put Emmet through with a lovely ball and his first touch took him across the centre back which should have taken him out of the game and through on goal. With just the keeper to beat it looked as if the Trout’s were about to go 3 nil up but the centre back decided not to trust his keeper to make the save and with no intent whatsoever to play the ball hacked Emmet down from behind about 5 yards outside the box. The referee rightly produced a straight red card for Lazio’s centre back, who also scored the own goal that put the Trouts 1 nil up. Not a great day at the office for him!!

Pony took the resulting free kick and hit it narrowly wide.

With Lazio down to 10 men Three Trout kept possession well and saw out the game, although there was still time for might have been a contender for goal of the season so far as Emmet unleashed a 35 yard pile driver that, with the keeper gasping for air, hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced to safety.

Reflecting on the game, it was the first match back for Three Trout since before Christmas and could have been a very tricky tie, Lazio are a decent team and have some very good players in midfield.

A clean sheet and 2 goals scored away from home is a great way to get back into the swing of things.

We were solid at the back with Mark and Adam winning everything and few crunchers in there from Adam as you would expect! The full backs also giving support to the wingers either side, some great runs from Jules in the second half.

Midfield played some lovely stuff when on the ball and never gave up chasing and wanting the ball until the final whistle.

Up top the hold up play was great and their defence would have been delighted to hear that final whistle.

Special mention to the subs who came on and really made a difference. Squad has some real strength in depth this season and with all the games that will be coming up everybody will have a role to play in what has the potential to be Three Trouts most successful season.

In saying that, there is certainly room for improvement, the Trouts were not at their best and rusty at times but that is to be expected after such a long break between matches.

A solid team performance and we go marching on in the cup!



Cloncastle 1 TTR FC 1

Posted by Karl on January 7, 2015 at 5:55 AM Comments comments (1)

After two fantastic wins the trout wake up to a cold Saturday morning.

As they step out of our cars and put our feet into puddles of ice they dream of their warm bed. Still they are excited to get things going. Playing good football and on a great run the mood is high. Pre-game there are a lot of people struggling to get changed but still spirits are keeping us warm. After a much needed warm up the game begins.


The Trouts start well but Cloncastle start battling back and begin to get a few moves going. The Trouts are letting a few passes stray and are struggling to grab hold of the games for the first time in a few games. Suddenly with a run down the trout left wing Cloncastle break into the box and squeeze the ball into the back of the net. The Trouts are left distraught but know this game is for the taking.


Finally the whistle blows for half time, much needed for the Trouts. With (as always) a great half time team talk by the managers and players, the mood is lifted with speeches of victory and fighting spirit that every Trout has.


The second half begins and from the off the Trouts are looking aggressive and Determined to not let this get by them. With the formation change by the management who are always ready to make the tough decisions the Trouts are taking control. Getting on top of the game the Trouts are getting chances and looking like the team that has won them such acclaim.


With the pressure being poured on by the Trouts a ball flies into the box from a corner and with some beautiful close passing between mark Hanlon and Karl Goggin in the box (let’s pretend it was on purpose), they wonderfully work the space and with a stunning strike half time sub Karl thunders the ball into the back of the net. The Trouts erupt and the belief builds. As the team on top it really looks like the Trouts are getting a winner. Everyone on the pitch is winning every battle and the passion for the jersey is shining brightly. After a few chances time is running down but still the battle goes on.


Sadly the break didn’t come and at the final whistle the score ends 1-1. Even after earning a fantastic point the Trouts feel a little disappointed but after a few minutes of post match chat they realise it was a great point and 7 points out of 9 is a fantastic way to finish the year. With a well deserved break the Trouts are counting the days until we can get the season going again eyeing the top of the table.


Merry Fishmass to all Trouts and BRING ON 2015.


TTR 1 VS Beech Park 3

Posted by Ross 23 on October 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM Comments comments (1)

TTR team was as follows


Paddy Baz Mark Ross


Andre Emmet Adam Alan


Subs: Mick Ste & Paul McGinty

With the pitch holding up from last week’s mud bath and the weather looking good on this autumnal day the Trout were in confident mood coming into the game. A very strong squad was down for the game with one or two last minute pull outs. TTR started the match with the diamond formation which has been getting rave reviews in the North Wicklow Times. Beech Park started off the match with the wind behind their back. Beech Park are a nice footballing team and started the match off by playing short balls between themselves around the back and the middle of the park. The Trout had a good structure to their defense with the mid field getting through a lot of running and Alex cleaning up any through balls. The first ten to fifteen minutes of the match both teams were cancelling each other out. Beech Park had a couple of through balls which were causing us problems at the back. Paddy was doing great work at right back with his consent running in tracking their tricky left winger. Beech Park broke the deadlock around the 20 minute mark with a deft pass over the back four. Their tricky striker took the ball with a great first touch and rounded Alex to tap it in. 1-0 nil to Beech Park. The Trout’s came fighting back straight away. We had had a couple of break through down the flanks with bother Andre and Alan doing great work. The midfield trio of Emmet /Steph & Adam where going forward and playing some lovely balls to Mo who was making a nuisance of himself. TTR rovers hit back with a lovely ball played in from the right hand side caused their keeper to parry it out. The ball broke to Emmet and the left hand side of the box. Taking his time he finished it with a great low shot. The score was one all now and the pendulum had definitely swung back to the Trout’s. For the next 10-15 minutes it was all TTR pressure. We had Beech park pinged back for this period and were getting some great balls into the box for Mo and Alan.

Perhaps the defining moment of the match in my opinion happened during this period. Their keeper had made a nice save and then a couple of minutes later we had hit the crossbar with a cross coming in from the Andre. Beech park broke down their left hand side with their right back skipping past three challenges (including my own). He hit a great shot that came back off the right hand post and fell to their striker for a simple tap in. TTR really felt it was against the run of play as we had been creating the better chances in the last ten to fifteen minutes. The trout’s still had high hopes for getting back into the game as they had already done it. Beech park won a corner a few minutes later and played a short one to their left winger. He took the ball and hit an amazing shot to the top right hand corner. Don’t think anyone could have saved that. Before half time TTR had a great chance when Steph took a free kick from the left hand side of midfield. The ball was sent to the back post where Mo had pulled away from this defender and looked ready to pounce. The blustery conditions caused the ball to hold up in the air and a half chance was missed.

So came the half time break and the only change was Paul coming on for Al on the left hand side. The only positional change was Andre moving to the left hand side and Paul coming onto the right hand side. Steph talked about us giving them too much respect and to really get stuck into them in the second half. The wind on our backs too would hopefully mean we would get a lot more pressure down their end. The first 20-25 minutes of the second half where two teams cancelling each other out. Mo was making great runs to get in behind their back four while Andre and Paul were running directly at their full backs. With fifteen minutes left the last change of the day was made. Mick Ste came on for Mo who had ran himself into the ground. We had changed to a 3-5-2 formation with Paddy pushing up on the right hand side and Ross dropping back into the back three. Eight minutes to go and Mark found himself tangling with their left winger at the edge of the box. Mark swung his arm while trying to shake off their striker and accidentally hit him in the face. The ref showed a straight red card. Couple of minutes later Adam had put in a good tackle on one of their midfielders. He took exception to that and ran up to Adam under the ref’s nose. The ref brandished a red card straight away. Both teams down to 10 men and the Trout pushed forward to get a goal. The last chance that we created was a free kick in from Steph beat their back four and the ball dropped to Baz. Baz with a whopper of a header which glanced past their left hand post. Couple of minutes later and the ref blew the whistle.

Reflecting on the game TTR to a man ran themselves into the ground in that game. Beech Park are a very skillful side who could hold onto the ball which caused us to do a lot of running. Maybe it was the extra time from last week’s game but i felt that Beech park had more in the engine at the end as the last 20 mins we seemed to be flat. Credit to the players and especially to the midfield who did some great running. Steph also mentioned the fact that we need to get some bite into the team(Mark: not that much) and to really go after teams. Definitely think we should approach the next game with a focus on winning all the 50/50 balls.

Overall a good effort from the trout’s but perhaps just didn’t get the bounce of the ball on the day. We won’t be teams as good as Beech Park every week so can take a lot from this game.

Sorry if I missed anything from the match. Memory isn’t as good these days.

TTR 3 Schalke 1

Posted by Justice on September 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM Comments comments (1)

The indian summer continues, and as the Trouts set out for their third league game of the season the sun was shining bright!

After a dissapointing start to the season, we were looking for our first win to get the trouts swimming upstream again.  Despite a number of players missing, we had a strong squad of 16 available and lined up in a new 4-5-1 formation as follows: 


    Jules   Noel   Baz    Mick

Paul  Tony Adam Emmet  Andre


The game started brightly with both teams knocking the ball about nicely, this was helped by a freshly cut pitch, and immaculate lines (done by the gaffer the night before).  Schalke had some good ball players in the middle and were starting to probe the back four (none of who were enjoying it apart from maybe Noel) :) 

The first real chance of the game came to Andre. Some neat play down the wing by Jules put Paul in down the flank who deliverd an excellent ball into the box, Andre tried a first time volley but it came off his shins and went out for a goal kick.  The midfield five were starting to dominate, kncoking the ball around nicely and getting the wingers in.  This resulted in the first goal, a good ball over the top from Emmet fell to Andre on the left side of the box, he struck it with his left foot across the box to Mo, who was unmarked at the back post to tap it in.  There was an element of offside, but the ref gave it and we were 1-0 up!! 

Schalke responded with a flurry of play, but the back four were very strong with Eoin collecting anything that came into the box from resulting corners.  We were soon 2-0 up with a peach of a move.  Again, some excellent link up play in the middle saw a ball over the top to Mo who held it up nicely before playing it back to Andre on the edge of the box who then curled the ball into the right hand corner with his left foot.  A quick cockney walk for a celebration (although the lads weren't sure what it was as it looked liked he'd been the one getting the probing) and Schalke were kicking off again.  They started to dominate and had some excellent chances to level the game.  Eoin made 3 or 4 world class saves to keep them out, the highlight being a 1-1 with their stiker who had seemingly scored, but somehow Eoin managed to claw the ball from going past him when it looked impossible to do so.  Top Top Save! Schalke were coming at us thick and fast, but the likes of Jules, Baz, Noel and Mick were keeping them out.  Jules in particular was having a stormer on the right hand side winning everything and anything that came his way. 

We knew they would come at us hard in the second half since they had finsihed the first half the strongest, but we started to pick up our game again - Emmet was bossing the midfiled with Adam and Tony.  Paul was getting in down the wings delevering some excellent crosses and Mick was getting down the flanks to support Andre on the wing.  Mo was holding the ball up nicely and all in all we were playing some excellent football.  A couple of key players picked up injuries - Mo had to go off after a nasty 50-50 left him hobbling and Baz pulled his groin.  We made a couple of changes with Paul coming on for Paul, Gilberto for Mo and Big Dave for Baz.  With the slight change of shape, and the energy zapping heat starting to take effect we took our feet of the gas and once again Schalke were on top.  To be fair, we were lucky to stay 2-0 up for as long as we did, they hit the bar and had a ball amazingly headed of th eline by Jules who leaped like a frog to clear it as it looked to be creeping in the top corner.  Top notch defending again from Jules, who put in a man of the match performance - followed closley by Eoin who made several excellent saves to keep us in it. Soon we were 3-0 up.  Jules made a surging run from the back, and 30 yeards out let one fly - it flew past the keeper and went in off to top of the crossbar! Zlatan would have been proud of that one! With 10 mins to go Schalke pressed and managed to get one back - their defender found himself near the corner flag and whipped in a cross which somehow managed to squeeze in the far left hand corner.  A fluke of a goal, but not undue.  On another day they could have been level by now. Everyone put in a strong last 5 mins and the ref blew for full time.  An excellent result for an excellent game.  We played some beautiful football at times which was very encouraging and the 4-5-1 formation proved a good call fromt he gaffer.  I can see us playing this for the rest of the season.  Strong at the back, we won the midfield battle, and the wingers got up to support the striker as much as possible.  Well done lads!!!! 

[Pre-season 2014/15] TTR 2 - Hermitage FC 1

Posted by Al Ruth on July 29, 2014 at 4:35 AM Comments comments (0)

Game two of the TTR pre-season campaign was at home against division 3B high-flyers Hermitage F.C. Having looked a little leggy in our first game back last weekend, an improved performance was required. With only six of last week’s starting eleven available for kick-off, a reshuffle was required. The team lined up in a 3-5-2 formation with Noel, Mark H, Si, Andre, Baz, Mick and Karl making their first starts of the season.




Noel; Mark H; Si

Andre; Adam; Paddy; Baz; Al R

Mick; Karl



Marc C; Mark (No.3); Ross; Paul McG; Gilberto


The first half began brightly with TTR playing the better football. Hermitage looked a little ring rusty and struggled to retain possession. Their keeper flapped at a few speculative efforts but we were unable to capitalise. Following a water break on 20 minutes, Mick Ste and Al Ruth were withdrawn. Debutant Mark went on up front and TTRs own Katie Taylor (Marc Craig) went wide left.


We continued to press for the remainder of the half, looking comfortable throughout. Against the run of play however, one of the Hermitage attackers rose to meet a pinpoint cross from the right. As Hermitage players wheeled away in celebration, our defense was left looking at each other.


Despite the scoreline, the half time team talk was a positive one. We were reminded of the importance of continuing to pass the ball, retain possession and not force it. Focus on our game and the goals will come. We went back on the field confident in our ability to turn it around.


Amid a swathe of substitutions, TTR managed to up the performance levels in the second period. All of the subs got a run out at some stage and everyone was making positive contributions all around the pitch. Hermitage were clearly tiring as our superior work rate and organisation was beginning to show. The stage was set for pantomime villain Paddy O’Farrell to stick it to ‘em. Having been involved in a couple of minor skirmishes earlier in the game, Paddy showed what he is capable of by picking up the ball, powerfully shrugging off a couple of Hermitage challenges and rifling the ball into the top corner. Game on.


TTR could smell blood at this stage. We continued to play a high intensity pressing game and put together some great passing moves. Late arrival Paul McGinty then stepped up to demonstrate his skill with a neat first touch and precise finish to put TTR into the lead. We managed to create a few more chances as the game wore on and certainly looked the more dangerous but in truth, both teams were tiring towards the end. Ref Paul called full time on what was a well refereed game and a satisfactory performance played in the right spirit.

TTR 1 - South William 3

Posted by Eddie Murphy on July 20, 2014 at 7:10 AM Comments comments (0)

Starting XI:


POG Ross Damo Eddie

Emmet Paddy Adam Alan

Gilberto Mo


Subs (All used):


Mick McGrath

Mick Ste







Conditions: Humid/Overcast


Ref: Mad man (Paul?)


To be honest this game was a bit of a blur for me (please forgive any mistakes that follow), I think that this may have been the case for all of us as we dived back into the full tilt of 11 aside football.

First half

Both teams started well with good general play from both sides Paddy O’Gorman had a shot blast over from a squared ball to just inside the D.

South William 1-0 – South William broke down their left wing and managed to knock the ball through to just inside the TTR box to the oncoming SW attacker who slotted the ball nicely into the the top right past myself and Eoin in nets.

Adam had a brilliant left footed effort chance from outside the box saved by the SW keeper.

The ref allowed a 3-5 minute water break for both side roughly 20 minutes into each half of the game.


Second Half

South William 2-0 - Possession was roughly 50/50. Below is a five minute clip showng good play from both teams, including a nice through ball from Paddy and an effort from Tim. Unfortunately it also includes South Williams goal to make it 2-0.

South William 2-1 - Next on the score sheet was Jules Murray. After some nice TTR play in midfield the ball was feed out to the left and put in low by *(insert name here)* and Jules slotted it calmly back to the keepers right towards the post from which the pass came.


South William 3-1 - Cannot recall this goal at all! I will update once I remember.



Overall it was not a bad game. New faces in the mix were good to see and adds to our pool of talent. Our lack of fitness did show a little with SW only having 2 subs to call on in comparison to our 7 and still kept pace with us, if not outpacing us, throughout the game.


TTR 1 - 1 Kill Celtic

Posted by MarkH on May 26, 2014 at 3:05 AM Comments comments (1)

May 3rd, 2014

A scheduling conflict at the JSA saw the Trouts on the road to Kill on a sunny bank holiday Saturday for their most distant home game to date. Despite a number of injuries & absentees, the starting XI was strong and keen to give a better account of themselves than they did in the same fixture earlier this season when a very young Kill side made the most of some dreadful conditions to soundly thrash the Trouts 3-0. The team lined out as follows;


Eddie - Mark - Paddy C - Paddy OG

Jules - Tim - Paddy OF - Al

Andre - Mo

(Subs - Si, Mick, Karl (I think))

Despite playing uphill & into the breeze in the first half, the Trouts seemed comfortable enough in dealing with most of what Kill had to offer. Tim & PaddyOF covered a huge amount of ground & managed to contain Kill's three midfielders expertly. The only real chance came shortly before half time when Kill's big number 9 managed to create an opening from nothing but didn't connect cleanly & saw his bobbled effort cleared to safety after a good save from Eoin. Some heated discussion at the break saw a fired-up Trout side start the second half much the brighter. A decent period of possession kept Kill penned in their own half but with little by way of clear cut opportunities. The breakthrough came on the hour when a lightning fast counter attack saw Al Ruth dissect the Kill back 4 with a sumptuous through ball. Andre Justice latched on to the ball with still a lot to do, calmly held off the despairing challenges of both centre halves before gliding effortlessly past the keeper and slotting in from a narrow angle. A tremendous goal from a quality player. The goal seemed to rouse Kill into a spirited fightback. They piled the pressure on for the last 30 minutes & could easily have been awarded a penalty when their winger went down in the area. It's possible that the dramatic nature of his descent may have dissuaded the ref from awarding the spot-kick but the Trouts have definitely seen them given for less. Kill's big number 9 was undoubtedly their star man and he had a couple of excellent chances to level, first blasting over from 6 yards when it looked far easier to score & then having a scuffed effort cleared heroically off the line by the ever-vigilant Eddie Murphy. With mere seconds left on the clock after a scarcely believeable 5 minutes of extra time, Kill finally got the reward for their efforts. A throw from the left wing found their star man with his back to goal. He managed to wriggle & squirm & get a shot away which deflected wickedly past Eoin whose flailing left arm wasn't enough to prevent the ball from creeping over the line.

A cruel end to an outstanding defensive effort in the end, but ultimately a fair result considering the Trouts would have settled for a point had they been offered it before the game! 

TTR 1 - 0 Cloncastle

Posted by Maurice on May 24, 2014 at 6:50 AM Comments comments (0)

To start it's a pity there is no award for the biggest delay in putting up a match report!! Couple of reasons, hate writing them and can't recall a huge amount about the game and working on the basis that with this huge delay neither can anyone else !! As a result the patchy details and inevitable ommisons will be overlooked...

Nice day, early kickoff (good start)



paddy - Ross - Adrian - Damo


mo - karl

subs- mick - jordan

The back four ably assisted by tim and emmet did a fantastic job keeping Cloncastle at bay throughout this game , with a number of close calls. In short ( literally) we battled hard and grabbed a winner in the dying seconds of the game - Jordan rushing in on goal holding off the full back and calmly slotting past the on the keeper who was bearing down on him. A great result allowing us to maintain our perfect 2014 record!!

Ballymount 5 - 1 TTR

Posted by Jules on April 18, 2014 at 5:05 AM Comments comments (1)

Not a game for a long match report. Some injuries, some absences, some M50 traffic madness and some very dodgy pitch marking did not make for a well prepared or executed match strategy. The Trout were under the cosh from the off, with midfield being swarmed by what seemed like double the number of reds and our defense pretty much playing last gasp tackles after tackle.


So quick were the Trout into proceedings after late arrivals from mid week traffic, it seemed that the starting 11 positions were forgotten to be remembered, similar to this reporters haste. Eoin in goals, Si and Mark centre backs, Mick McG on the left and Eddie on the right. Jules and Tim in the middle, Andre up the left and Paul up the right with Karl and Mick Ste up front. An injured Ross on the bench and a late arriving Mo supporting also.


The first goal for Ballymount came in a matter of minutes with well worked triangle passing down the right wing and a dangerous low cross well dispatched at the back post by an on-rusher. It seemed like minutes later when a nightmare wild cross / sky shot into the box seemed to drop out of the sun into the top right corner of the net. Eoin got a hand to it, but its unusual trajectory made it very difficult to judge how to repel it away.


In fairness to Ballymount, they didn't let up after that. There were some very comfortable players at the back, especially the right back who had acres of space and seemed to be the distribution man after any Trout knock-ons were cleaned up and sent calmly back down the pitch. The reds moved the ball well at the back and used every foot and inch of a very wide and unmarked pitch to pass the ball in slick one-twos down the lines.


Trout couldn't get a grip on the game and a deflection out to the edge of the box from a set piece was not charged down quick enough and a met volley was rocketed back into the top right corner. A sweet strike on a sunny Wednesday evening made Ballymount look like they were toying with an underage team from Wicklow. Sounds harsh, but probably not far off the mark for the guy watching with his dog at the top of the Pylon hill. A forth was added before the end of the half with very little chances from Trout created.


An injured Ross came on at the half for an injured Jules. Mo was held in reserve and ultimately replaced Mick Ste. A bit of a reshuffle saw Andre come into the centre beside Tim. With Trout now playing to limit further damage to pride, we got a much better hold on the ball and match. With Andre less isolated out on the wide wing, he joined forces with Tim to start playing nicer ball in the middle. Although Ballymount won and dispatched a peno in the second half, trout had the better of it for some periods and an expert lone take down, turn and strike from Mo, saw Trout draw the second half.


This didn't do anything to ease the pain of a 5-1 score line, or the disjointedness of the performance, but this usually happens once or so a season, it just so happens that this is the second time this season on the same pitch. This time we didn't have hang overs from Christmas parties to blame, but the willingness to bounce back after the match was far higher this time with Trout's recent better form. Special mention to Eddie, Mark, Si and Andre who put in some key tackles, stayed calm, beat some players and built some attacks in the second half.

TTR 3-1 St Marys

Posted by Paul on March 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM Comments comments (1)
By Paddy O'Farrell
When Socrates asked Glaucon to comprehend his allegory of the cave, one must surmise that he had in mind the possibility of a post-Christmas run of games that the mighty Trout are currently experiencing. Socrates asked Glaucon to imagine prisoners shackled together in a cave, with no option but to look towards a wall directly in front of them. Upon this wall, the prisoners can only see shadows. These shadows are projected onto the wall by individuals, operating behind the prisoners where they cannot be seen, carrying objects in front of a fire. The natural noise these "puppeteers" create is attributed by the prisoners to be caused by the shadows, adding to the illusion and leading the prisoners believe that the shadows constitute reality. It is only when one prisoner is freed does he see the real objects, although finding reality so difficult he wishes to return to his simpler life. It is only when he is dragged toward the exit of the cave, does he realise the true extent of existence, seeing the sun and earth for what it really is.
Following last week's victory, we have exited the cave, finally clearing our eyes from the shadows to fulfil our true potential as the best team in this league.
We set out strong from the off, with Shay and Al in the centre importantly winning the majority of balls dropping into their area. Domination across the park followed, and even against a strong wind, we firmly held the advantage in territory. We created a few half chances in the first half, with a few clear chances fluffed. Midway through the first, St Marys managed to sneak a lucky goal from a spilled free kick, thoroughly undeserved, as our backline was performing strongly as a unit, led by the flying ninja tackler Si, and the giant country fellow Dave, Eoin behind the two keeping watch.
After the break, we gathered ourselves and continued to dominate. Our wing backs Paddy and Mick were consistent in the tackle and the pass, allowing our wingers the opportunity to probe the Marys defensive line. Al and Emmet worked wonders on each wing, beating their men on a number of occasions, and remaining calm in possession. With the wind in our hair, we won a corner some 10 minutes into the second half after some work on the wing by Socrates himself. Emmet nearly got himself an early bath by gently discussing a penalty claim with the referee, but managed to remain on the pitch for the corner. From this corner, a wickedly delivered cross from Mr Andre Justice (I've copywrited his name) was met by Al Ruth, grabbing a goal which his work rate all day deserved. With this dagger to their hearts, Marys capitulated. The Trout roared as only a Trout can, and in quick succession, a Zidane-like through ball from Al Mo to Mr Justice allowed Andre to cooly round the keeper and slot home. I was left to us to close the game out, with a number of substitutions clearly making an impact. Pauly Paul on the right creating a number of opportunities after beating his man, Mick Ste putting in a good shift up front, and hair god Mackie creating the third goal, which Al Mo dispatched clinically into the bottom left from 30 yard.
Great performance, good cohesion, cool heads. Let's keep the run going.